Disputes don’t usually go away on their own. There are many ways within our legal system to resolve a dispute – each with their own benefits and short comings. One method is mediation. Here are three good reasons why you should consider mediation:
- It’s fast. In a worst case scenario, litigation can take several years from start to finish. On the other hand, it can take as little as a few days to go through mediation from start to finish. When parties need to resolve a dispute and get on with their lives more quickly, mediation is a good potential solution.
- It’s often less expensive than the alternatives. Mediations can cost a fraction of the cost of a major trial.
- It can provide a greater range of outcomes. A judge is limited to options available under family law. Mediation focuses on finding common interests of the parties, and can look for creative solutions that aren’t limited by the law.
There are a number of ways to resolve a dispute, but many of them require time, money or a good working relationship with the other party. Where one or more of those don’t exist, mediation may be your best solution.
If you feel that mediation might work for your dispute, give us a call and we’ll chat through your situation to determine the best way forward.
FAQs related to Family Law:
- Will the mediator provide legal advice?
- How much does mediation cost?
- Who attends mediation?
- My Ex-Spouse can be very manipulative. Will the mediator take his/her side?
Additional Things to Consider
- D. Greig